Thursday, August 4, 2011

Narrative Writing- Lessons from Living in the U.S.

          If I were to pick one event that occurred in life that was important, I would choose going to the United States following my father, who was invited as a visiting professor of the Columbia University Medical Center. Living in the U.S. was the most challenging but the most enjoyable event of my life. Through the experience, I gained so many things that are vital in my life.
          When my father was chosen as a visiting professor to Columbia University, our family was elated. Our family set up plans traveling, and I made a list of things that I wanted to do in the U.S. But I guess the things just didn't go as well as my family thought.

          When my family landed at John F. Kennedy Airport, my family was totally confused. We didn't know what we had to do. We were forlorn. We had to do everything by ourselves without any help.
          The real challenge came when I started to interact with people in the society. I was not able to make enough relationship with my classmates, especially with my inadequate linguistic skills and cultural understanding. On baseball team, I couldn't understand the coaches. In school I couldn't catch up the other students in academic aspects.
          But as I improved my English skills and understood the culture in America after a few weeks, I was able to make many friends and have a smooth conversation and interactions. I improved English in the process of living in America and studying school subjects; I gained social skills meeting new people and making new relationship with the other people that have different cultural backgrounds.

          Living in the U.S. was a great experience, as I polished my English skills and learned how to adjust to a new environment and make friends. Perhaps the lessons that I learned in America is the reason that I am in GLPS with a lot of friends here. Lessons I learned in U.S. will always be my valued mental possessions that will be useful in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment